Menu de navigation
Expert(s) for : race
- Economics and politics in the late Middle Ages
- Medieval church, administration, offices and officers
- Medieval schools, culture and societies
- Grace and power
- Historiography and methods
- Individuals and society
- Justice in the late Middle Ages
- Middle Ages
I am especially interested in the evolution of systems of government towards modernity, in particular the role played by religious grace. It seems that grace was one of the tools used by theoreticians and practitioners of monarchic powers in the late Middle Ages and the first modern age to strengthen the State's authority. The heart of this evolution and an example of it can probably be found in the pontifical tribunal responsible for administering grace, the Apostolic Penitentiary.
I am also working on three separate projects at the moment, on my own or in collaboration with others:
- Demilitarization of the medieval clergy after the Gregorian reform (11th-15th centuries) and strategies of distinction used by the Church to protect its members (attacks on and injuries to ecclesiastics).
- Anthropology of animality in the Middle Ages and the modern era, through trials of animals accused of crimes (13th-17th centuries).
- The Middle Ages and mathematics: Alcuin's propositions (9th century).